Groceries for 2 on $120 per week or less – an attempt to eat healthy and stay in budget.
I totally and completely got this post idea from Frugal Stepping Stones. Check out her blog as she feeds a family of 5 on $150 per week!
And I am going to say it front – I FAILED to stay in budget this week. One should not start a budgeted grocery haul on a HOLIDAY weekend. Nor when trying out a New Store.
Trader Joes – $39.80
How did the ice cream end up in there? Trader Joe’s roasted corn is my fave thing. Adds an abundance of flavor when I make buddha bowls. And I use hummus or avocado in place of mayonnaise on my sandwiches.
They have the best mac ‘n cheese, too! DD and I will split one and serve it up with a big side salad or fruit.
WinCo – $101.20
I took the advice of many wealthy people I know and tried out WinCo for my grocery needs. I am in love with their bulk and produce section. Premium honey, pastas, spices, candy… all in bulk. I was majorly impressed.
But I am going to make some produce bags out of old linens I have, because I feel so guilty using all that plastic!
All the berries and beer is for the 4th of July food festivities (approx. $25). So if I took that out, I would have been right in budget. The honey and butter are stock up items. Next week’s budget is likely to be lower.
Let’s see if we can keep the budget in check at month’s end.
Weekly total spent: $141.00
In the change jar: ($21.00)
Monthly Grocery Budget Remaining: $339.00
Dinner Menu Plan
- Sofritas, black beans, cilantro-lime rice
- Salmon w/lemon-dill aioli , sesame spinach, brown rice
- Steak & Veggies Foil Packets (red and yukon potatoes, roasted corn, mushrooms, red bell pepper, carrots), brown rice; Dessert: peach cake
- Veggie Burgers w/rosemary-sea salt french fries or sweet potato fries
- Brinner (breakfast for dinner)
- Spaghetti w/Italian sausage, great big salad.
- Chicken dinner of some sort.
Ideas for a delicious but simple chicken dinner? Please share.